Title: Coordinator of Seminary Computer Services
Reports to: Academic Dean
Job Classification: Full-time, exempt, administrative faculty
The Coordinator of Seminary Computer Services is responsible for planning, leadership, and management of the use of IT services at Bethany Theological Seminary, including the Brethren Academy for Ministerial Leadership, and Earlham School of Religion in support of the schools’ missions. Areas of responsibility include support for technology in classrooms, network infrastructure, hardware, software, and related services.
Planning and Management
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Seminary Computer Services (SCS) department.
- Supervise the Computer Support Specialist to accomplish the work of SCS.
- Participate in all IT-related planning and processes in the schools.
- Develop operating policies and procedures for computing and information technology.
- Plan SCS budgets and ensure that SCS spending conforms to budgetary goals.
- Ensure all SCS documentation is kept up to date and accurate, including, but not limited to, asset information and warranty contracts, disaster recovery plans, etc.
- Maintain relationships with Earlham College ITS and records of agreements pertaining to our reliance on their hardware, software, and telephony and other services.
- Regularly work with other departments to streamline processes.
- Plan, oversee, and manage current and new applications, computer systems, and services.
- Strategize and consult with various parties, make recommendations for changes to IT systems and processes, and implement those changes upon approval by the deans.
- Assess new computing technologies and systems to determine their usefulness for the schools and their future needs.
- Monitor and manage helpdesk services, and assist the Specialist as needed.
- Work with vendors and contractors, as needed.
Equipment and Infrastructure
- Manage and work to develop infrastructure and equipment for the schools’ distance learning programs, especially the Technology Classrooms at Bethany and the Technology Carts at ESR.
- Manage the installation, maintenance, and management of all approved hardware, software, and audio-visual equipment for school systems.
- Maintain the network hardware and configuration, including servers, switches, and firewalls/UTM appliances.
- Manage purchasing and acquisitions for all computing hardware, software, and supplies, including employee requests.
- Manage server and device backups and regularly test that backups are functional.
- Maintain wired and wireless network equipment.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all school IT systems.
- Perform administrative duties for school information systems and services, including appropriate access and use of software, for example, CRMs, OneDrive, shared drives.
- Provide technical assistance to employees utilizing information and data systems.
- Conduct regular risk and security assessments of IT-related systems, policies, and services; make and implement plans for corrective actions as necessary.
- Ensure the proper licensing of all software.
- Maintain the integrity of the information systems by regularly reviewing and assessing each component within the whole, with an eye toward maximizing efficiency and reliability.
- Plan and coordinate training opportunities for seminary and related systems and services.
- Assist with Bethany’s website functionality, as appropriate.
- Provide Tier 2 helpdesk support and aid the helpdesk as necessary to ensure timely support levels.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Coordinator of Seminary Computer Services reports to the Academic Dean of Bethany Theological Seminary and is also accountable to the Dean of Earlham School of Religion.
- Understanding of and commitment to the missions of Bethany Theological Seminary and Earlham School of Religion.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or similar education and experience.
- Experience with synchronous video and its use for educational delivery.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to support employees and students with various IT needs in a friendly and professional manner.
- Able to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Able to organize a complex and varied workload.
- Has thorough knowledge of and ability to maintain both Windows and macOS systems.
- Has experience managing Linux servers, preferably both Red Hat and Debian systems.
- Has knowledge of and experience managing network infrastructure, including DNS and LDAP.
- Able to troubleshoot problems to efficiently diagnose issues.
- Able to explain technical concepts and processes in a simple, nontechnical way.
- Able to provide technical support in a variety of methods (face to face, phone, email, videoconference, etc.).
Applications will be received until the position is filled, with a desired start date in June or early July 2021.
Please send letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to:
Academic Dean’s Office
SCS Coordinator Search
Bethany Theological Seminary
615 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374
Bethany Theological Seminary’s policy prohibits discrimination in employment opportunities or practices with regard to race, gender, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, or religion.