Our distance education track, Connections, allows students in either the master of arts or master of divinity program to complete their degree with great flexibility. One-third of the coursework must be completed at Bethany’s Richmond campus, following the current accrediting guidelines of The Association of Theological Schools (ATS). This means only nine of the twenty-eight courses for the MDiv and six of the nineteen courses for the MA must be taken at the Richmond campus. Students may earn the additional required credits either through Bethany’s online courses or at locations other than Bethany’s campus.
This also means that Bethany students do not need to relocate to earn a master’s degree. The rigorous, fully-accredited Connections curriculum combines online learning with Bethany’s close-knit community during intensive courses on campus.
Connections courses are offered in the following formats:
- Online courses – offered fully online
- Weekend intensives – three weekends face-to-face, usually once a month during the semester
- Two-week intensives – face-to-face, held in August, January, and May
- Hybrid courses – a combination of weekend intensives and online sessions
- Blended courses – synchronous video, connecting to on-campus courses in real time through our new technology classroom
In addition, traditional and block face-to-face courses can be taken at Bethany, at Bethany’s Susquehanna Valley Ministry Center (PA) campus, via cross-registration with our sister schools, or even transferred from other seminaries.
Students in our graduate certificates are able to complete all of their courses in any available format. The one-third requirement does not apply to a nondegree program.