The Certificate in Biblical Peacemaking provides a means to construct one’s theology of peacemaking through biblical, theological, and ethical reflection. With this foundation, students will apply their learning in a practical setting.
Designed to serve the needs of students from the Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (Church of the Brethren in Nigeria), this program will be called the Advanced Certificate in Biblical Peacemaking when referenced within their educational and cultural contexts. It is open to domestic as well as international students.
Graduates with a (Advanced) Certificate in Biblical Peacemaking will be able to
- communicate a biblical theology of peacemaking that is informed by skillful, contextual readings of biblical texts and by theological and ethical reflection;
- plan, implement, and evaluate peacemaking initiatives that are contextually appropriate, nonviolent, and consistent with the student’s interpretations of scripture, theology, and ethics.
This certificate requires 18 hours of coursework, which include specific courses in biblical, peace, and theological studies as well as a practicum, as listed in the catalog. Students can take any number of courses in a semester. Not all courses are offered every year. The certificate can be completed in two years.
- B204 Gospel of Peace
- B 342 Interpreting Romans as a Resource for Peacemaking
- P284 Peace and Power in the City
- P273 Mediation as a Social and Spiritual Practice
- T270 Majority World Christianity
Admissions Process Deadlines
Fall session: May 15th
Spring session: November 15th
Total cost for 18 credit hours is $8,640. Students may apply for financial aid through Bethany: Church Service Covenant Grant, Academic Excellence Scholarship, and need-based aid.
Through our generous financial aid program, students may reduce their total tuition costs to as low as $2,200 for the entire certificate if it is completed in four semesters. There is a $350 extension fee if a fifth semester is needed. An institutional loan program is also available for those who qualify. For full details on financial aid, payment plans, and extension fees, contact the Admissions Office.
For more information on this certificate and courses, refer to the Academic Catalog.