I serve as the Associate Professor of Brethren Studies and Director of the MA Program at Bethany. I received a BA in Religion from Ashland University in Ohio and a Masters in Theological Studies from Candler School of Theology at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. I completed my PhD in Religious Studies at The University of Iowa in May 2009. While completing my PhD, I served as a research fellow at both the University of Iowa and at the Institute for European History in Mainz, Germany. My dissertation, “Pietism and Patriarchy: Spener and Women in Seventeenth-Century German Pietism”, examined the ways in which the beliefs and practices of the Pietist movement both challenged and reinforced existing gender roles in early modern Germany. My current research continues to focus on gender issues within German Pietism.
In 2002-2003 and 2009-2010, I served as an archival assistant at the Brethren Historical Library and Archives in Elgin, Illinois. I serve on the Brethren Historical Committee. I am the Editor for Brethren Life and Thought. I currently live in Dayton, Ohio, with my husband, Calvin, and two children.
- The University of Iowa, Religious Studies, Ph.D., 2003-2009
- Candler School of Theology, Emory University, M.T.S., 2000-2002
- Ashland University, B.A., 1996-2000
- Insitut für Europäische Geschichte, Stipend Recipient, Mainz, Germany, 2008-2009
- T. Anne Cleary International Dissertation Research Fellowship, The University of Iowa, 2008
- Seashore Dissertation Fellowship, The University of Iowa, 2008-2009
- Rex Montgomery Dissertation Fellowship, Dept. of Religious Studies, The University of Iowa, 2007
- Louis Pennigroth Teaching Award, Dept. of Religious Studies, The University of Iowa, 2006
- Summer Language Scholarship, The University of Iowa, 2005
- Summer Language Scholarship, The University of Iowa, 2004
- Marguerite Blough Essay Award, Dept. of Religious Studies, The University of Iowa, 2004
Courses Recently Taught:
- History of the Church of the Brethren
- Brethren Beliefs and Practices
- Brethren and Society
- Gender and Christian Devotion
- History of Christianity I & II
- MA Formation Seminar
- Dissertation: Pietism and Patriarchy: Spener and Women in Seventeenth-Century German Pietism
- “Dan West: Pied Piper of Peace,” A Dunker Guide to Brethren History, Elgin, IL: Brethren Press, 2010, 94-98.
- “Old Testament Festivals and Brethren Rituals,” The Witness of the Hebrew Bible for a New Testament Church, ed. Christina Bucher, et al., 289-308. Elgin, IL: Brethren Press, 2010.
- “‘Greet One Another with a Holy Kiss’: The Evolution of the Holy Kiss in the Church of the Brethren,” in Lines, Places, and Heritage: Essays Commemorating the 300th Anniversary of the Church of the Brethren, ed. Jeff Bach and Steve Longenecker, 197-212. Bridgewater, VA: Penobscot Press, 2008.
Websites of Interest:
For a complete listing of accomplishments: Curriculum Vitae