Join us for this informational and instructive seminar!
Clergy Tax Seminar 2021
January 16, 2021
Students, pastors, and other church leaders are invited to participate in this online Zoom seminar.
- Learn how to prepare clergy taxes correctly and legally.
- Comply with regulations while maximizing tax deductions.
- Earn 0.3 CEUs – requires attendance in the first session.
The annual Clergy Tax Seminar will consist of two sessions:
- Session 1, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. EST, will focus on the rules surrounding Clergy Tax Returns, including who is subject to these rules, what income is subject to tax, and how to reduce total tax liability using various methods, including housing allowance, business expenses, and medical reimbursement plans. Credit for 0.3 CEUs will be available for attending Session 1 only.
- In Session 2, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. EST, participants will complete a clergy tax return using H&R Block’s highest tier (Premium and Business) downloadable software.
This seminar is highly recommended for all pastors and other church leaders who wish to understand clergy taxes, including treasurers, steward commission chairs, and church board chairs.
Sponsors: The Brethren Academy for Ministerial Leadership, the Church of the Brethren Office of Ministry, and Bethany Theological Seminary
- 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. EST: Morning session
- 1:00-1:30 p.m. EST: Lunch on your own
- 1:30-3:30 p.m. EST: Afternoon session
Registration and Cost
Registration is $40 per person (generally nonrefundable to keep fees and overhead low). Current Brethren Academy, Bethany Theological Seminary and Earlham School of Religion students may attend the seminar at no cost, although registration is still required to reserve space and will allow us to provide you with web access to the seminar. Instructions and handouts will be sent a few days prior to the event. Registrations are not complete until payment is received. For quality reasons, registrations may be capped at eighty-five persons online.
Prompt registration is advised – registration deadline is January 6, 2021.
A Zoom link will be sent prior to the seminar.
Deb Oskin has been doing clergy tax returns since 1989, when her husband left seminary to pastor a small rural Church of the Brethren congregation. As a pastor’s wife and later as a tax professional, she learned the tax problems and pitfalls associated with the IRS’s identification of clergy as “hybrid employees.” In 2011, after twelve years with H&R Block, Deb left to start her own tax practice, specializing in clergy taxes. Clergy clients now make up 75 percent of her client base.
Deb was ordained in 2004 when she was called by the Living Peace Church of the Brethren in Columbus, Ohio, to be their peace minister to the wider community. She served as Southern Ohio District’s board chair from 2007-11 and served as Southern Ohio-Kentucky 2018 District Moderator. She is currently serving on the denomination’s Pastoral Compensation & Benefits Advisory Committee.
She has been teaching and presenting nationally on clergy taxation to clergy, treasurers and administrators, and tax pros since 2004. Other than the fact that she really likes to talk, Deb does this because of her deep belief that clergy can devote more of their energy to ministry if they aren’t stressed by tax debt.
Deb is an experienced presenter, and despite the complexity of the material, you’ll find yourself laughing. Learn and enjoy!
Register below, deadline to register is January 6, 2021